Friday 6 September 2013

Week thirty five



We named our Clark after my Mum's side of the family and after my Pa, who is no longer with us. However as my husband is a devoted comic book nerd people assume that we named him after Clark Kent. It doesn't hurt and really Superman is my favourite superhero! So it amuses me greatly that Clark loves Spiderman the best (like father like son!). He can sing the song and does some amazing web throws. On Superhero dress up day at childcare Glenn was very excited to buy Clark his first Superhero costume, and Clark was even more excited to dress up as Spiderman! It was hard to grab a photo for all the jumping and diving and web throwing and I have NEVER seen our boy more excited to go to childcare! 

Superhero day was short lived when I received a call from childcare saying that Clark was bleeding from the ear! Much panic and a visit to the Doctor with my Spiderman-clad bolognese  (no doctor, that is not blood) covered boy later, we had drops and a diagnosis of a possible perforated ear drum. A week on and we now know less than we started with as the ENT does not think it is perforated. It has been a week of worry as for those that know anything about children with a uniliateral hearing loss know that protecting the "good" ear is of paramount importance. We have a few follow up appointments ahead of us, and who knows what else, but we will get there. Personally I do wonder if all of the Spiderman jumping popped his ear!

What it has done this week is make me reflect on my parenting and the strengths that Glenn and I have. I was talking with a colleague who reminded me (thank you Camille!) that I am a strong person and that everything we are faced with makes us stronger. I held it together while dealing with the crisis, and had a small meltdown on the phone once my child was safe and asleep in his bed. Yes, I have been worried and a bit stressed but these moments are short lived and I pick myself up and get on with what needs doing. I was worried that our GP would judge me for going back for a second trip and insisting on ear drops, fobbing me off as an overanxious mother. Glenn reminded me that I am Clark's advocate and that, no matter what people think, I am advocating for my child as he cannot do this for himself. And this is something that I have definitely felt solidified for me this week. Yes, I see the families I work with do this constantly and support them in doing this, but it is another thing altogether to be doing it for yourself and your family. It is ok to have those moments of panic and worry, but you need to lean on your supports. And we are so lucky to have the supports that we do. When my father showed up at my house not long after I had a bit of a teary on the phone when filling him in about Clark's ear, I was so grateful for the people in our life.

The same colleague also reminded me that Clark will be stronger for what he goes through. Yes, he will face challenges with his hearing, language and learning, however he will have to be stronger to get through it all. Our hearing support teacher said that often the children who have gone through the early intervention program (Clark has one hour of one on one hearing support a week) are often more disciplined when they go to Primary school due to the work that the teacher does with them. These hearten me and while we will have our moments of worry and panic we will keep coming back to these facts and just love our boy and do what we can to make his path easier. Which really is what all parents are striving to do no matter what the issue! 

------------

On another note, it was Father's day this week and we had a lovely BBQ outdoors at my parents house. I thought I would include a couple of photos of Clark with his Father and his Grandad! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment