Wednesday 3 July 2013

Week twenty six


This weekend we went to Sydney for a cousin's wedding. We took the opportunity to take a mini-break as a family and although it rained and rained and rained (and rained some more) we had a wonderful time. Three nights away flew by. It is the first time our boy has been to Sydney and he was a bit shell shocked. The crowds threw him, and he was rather off his game in the hustle and bustle. It brought out his rude side, with Clark shouting 'go away' at the strangers that we passed in the street. Unfortunately we missed out on going to the Zoo, which was one of the big reasons we took an extended break away. Clark learnt about disappointment, and thankfully handled it with grace. We did go to the Aquarium and also the Australian Museum, both which caused delight and trepidation in our little man. He was thrilled with the Monorail and I am so happy that he managed to have a ride before they shut it down forever. The whole holiday really was geared around Clark, which of course is how it should be.I have spent my life traveling to and from Sydney, and it was strange not only to not visit my old haunts, but also to visit new ones.

It was really lovely to get to see Clark meet my family that he has not met. Trying to explain to him who people are and how they relate to him, and also feeling incredibly proud of my little family. Yes, Clark was rambunctious at the wedding, however what is one to expect from a two year old? Calling out 'what comes next?' during the wedding reception thankfully had people smiling. Later during the reception, my usually shy boy decided he wanted to play with the older boys running around the dance floor. He had met a little boy (5) who tried to engage with Clark, however Clark ran away and hid. Later when we were sitting down, he asked me about the boy and when asked, said he wanted to play with him. I encouraged him to do so, and he asked me to come. I was terribly proud when upon my answer of 'Mama will sit here and watch you' he got up and ran off to find the boy. He had a ball, and we struggled to convince him to leave the party and head home. I loved seeing him playing with the other children, engaged and happy. I delight so much in seeing him interact with other children, not only because I so want him to make friends, but because I see another side to his personality. This part of him that is separate to me and means that one day he will go off into the world a whole and individual being.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting might have to take you up on that some other time. From Decking Canberra

    ReplyDelete